This article addresses the ideas will America collapse, but also why people dream of the idea of the fall of the establishment and the rise of post-apocalyptic reality.
Define collapse of the United States
To answer the question will America collapse or fall, you have to define what this means.
To me collapse means a rapid decline on par with the dissolution or near end of the US political process as we know it today, replaced with a fragmented process disconnected from the American tradition. This could be accompanied by chaos, panic, economic hardship and human suffering from the vacuum created.
For that scenario to play out, there would have to be a catastrophic exogenous event that is unforeseen. It would have to be a cosmic meteor or rapid change in the climate or a spread of infectious disease.
Note a business cycle, no matter how severe would not bring the US to collapse. The US economy is too diverse and always reinventing itself. It will operate at a decentralized local economy if needed.
Note America is not Ancient Rome. Historians would like to tell you so because it gives them academic notoriety, yet, Rome was a dictatorship which collapsed because the concentration of power created internal weakness and allowed foreign invaders. The American system is a democracy with many levels of decentralization, state, county, town level. Each level could function if the main power structure were to be eliminated.
10 Potential reason for the collapse of America listed
- Economics– Debt or extreme cycle. National debt – This is real and is the greatest threat to the United States, but in the end, it is a paper financial threat of collapse. The buildings will not disappear nor will the people. This will address in another article. Others believe capitalism is evil and Americans will be punished for their greed. This ridiculous, capitalism is good for the poor and made all Americans rich, if you think I am wrong, check out the post-Soviet lifestyle
- Terrorists – Current capability of extremist groups could not execute destruction at that level. Terrorists are like the Anarchists of the 20th century. They cause limited actual destruction but use fear as their main weapon. Fear is dark side energy, which can not be sustained. Unless the majority of the world, and I mean close to 100% converted to their side there is no way they could pull off the destruction of America. For example, look at the Soviet Union or the Third Reich. With all the technology and people behind them, they could not bring the destruction of democracy and freedom. Terrorists are no different, just another extreme ideology with less backing, and technology than the forces of evil of the past. Even if the weapons are more powerful, they are countered by the defense which is exponentially more powerful. If you have ever played the game Civilization, this difference in technology makes all the difference in who is dominate. What will happen is terrorism will decrease in the far future as humankind continues to evolve. The females of the human race as they gain more power will soften the extremist. The human genes of extremism will not permit long run chaos as the Homo Sapiens genes want to survive. If think about this, you will understand.
- Famine – Food is always an allocation problem, not a production problem. Unless there was a massive blight of some sort affecting multiple species of plants there will always be enough food. Plants have natural defense mechanisms and as do humans. What is actually happening is the food supply is getting weaker and sterile from a health perspective. Look at your grocery store, people are obese and falling apart. I know this sounds harsh but it is true. It is caused by eating non-organic foods devoid of micronutrients. Micronutrients and enzymes are the sparks of life. People are declining in health, but famine is not in the future.
- Immigrants – This will cause overcrowding of the US, but not its destruction. More people will live in cookie-cutter homes on smaller plots of land. This will be the new normal and replace storybook America. Further general wages will decrease as the supply of labor increases. Compare counties like Switzerland and Norway with counties that are overpopulation competing for limited resources. Immigrants are not bad, just illegal immigration that does not keep the flow in balance. Will change the landscape of America but not destroy it and America will not collapse because of it, even if the population doubled as long as the people are productive and adding value there will be no Malthusian doomsday.
- Civil war – succession. There is a real potential through a peaceful political process sometime in the distant future, Vermont or California could separate from the union. It is just a hypothetical that will not cause suffering but more an intellectually curious topic. In essence, even if the US dissolved from the Federal system it would be closer to a loose confederation of states that the founding fathers initially envisioned.
- Disease – This is the disconcerting threat. Unlikely despite the Hollywood hype, as humans have been on the earth for 100,000 years and if anything we are strong and more advanced. However, the human gene pool is so diverse that not everyone would be susceptible. Even the most catastrophic disease or plague, some people would be immune. Some people are immune to the Plague and HIV. There would be a depopulation but no reason to believe this would cause a collapse.
- Climate change – This is unpredictable but based on the current data will not be in play for at least 100 years. Technology will change exponentially and mitigate this. Even dumping massive amounts of metal in the ocean will generate more O2 for example. Balloons can be released to repair Ozone. Microbes now can eat plastic. Climate change is real, however, I think Malthusian predictions are countered by technology.
- Meteor – At this juncture, we have too much warning and anti meteor strategies in place such as missiles and rockets that would not make this a plausible scenario.
- Invasion – Not a chance. The British could not make headways at the start of our nation and no foreign power could ever pull off an invasion of America. Not a chance. Besides the military people, Americans are too patriotic in this country and every person would defend the US.
- Absorption – Joining the EU/UN or some other world order would not happen because there are too many patriots in America. Think of the Brit-exit, the tend is against a one-world order. There is no need for it as decentralization celebrates diversity.
America is too prepared, resilient and organized for the fall of America. I am confident the US military and homeland security as the citizens can handle any threats so we can continue to live out our dreams in peace.
Why people have negative fantasies of destruction
People often have negative fantasizes connected to the destruction of the United States because they feel somehow we are an unjust imperial power that oppresses people and the world would somehow be better off with an alternative.
People who indulge in thinking about this scenario are usually negative people on the metaphorical dark side filled with hate or resentment. They might ideologically be extremely liberal or on the other side of the spectrum foreigners who see the world differently.
My answer to that is: Why are you festering in negative feelings? Do you feel that bad about yourself? Really, let us be honest, to hate a whole culture, a good culture of religious, hardworking free people means you have some problems with your own self worth and so try to boaster by affiliating yourself with some ideology. It is a classic case of weakness. If you do not like an aspect of US politics, for example, try to improve your own life and those around you.
What is the alternative to Americanism?
The US is a free democratic process which has been the evolution of a political and economic system that goes back to the Ancient Greeks. Humankind has tested and rechecked different political systems and at this juncture, a republic/democracy with a generally free economy with a Constitution that lays out the ideals and principles is superior to any alternative system.
I am a religious person but theocracies do not make sense as religion is connected to the ultimate reality not some temporal governing of justice. People will split hairs over theological differences and one group is repressed.
Kingdoms do not work either, because history has proven there is an abuse of power when concentrated.
Communism and socialism literally collapse under the weight of government. So when people subconsciously wish for the destruction of the US, what do they want, Warlord ruling?
Wishing for the destruction of America is different than indulging in visions of a future where people struggle for survival
I believe many people like to dream about a post apoplectic world not because they are bad people, but they are bored with their lives and desire to feel more intensely the sensations of life, including self-preservation which is programmed in us.
- The Hunger games
- People of Sparks
- Terra Nova
- Any garden variety Zombie show
They capture the essence of that people feel. This is largely brought about excess consumerism. They feel ennui with their day to day cubical lives and would like to live like a hero struggling for surviving not as a Lego person. The good news is there need not be destroyed for you to live like that. You can be a homesteader or a prepper.
Alternative fantasies from good people
Hipster homesteading – People engage more rustic fantasies and live that life now without waiting for the fall of America or whatever culture they live in. People simply have a primordial longing to struggle to survive, that is not being expressed. Therefore this takes the form of homesteading. This has nothing to do with survivalists as portrayed but a fun peaceful way to live your fantasy of being with your family rather than in some corporate slave. You can read more about that here: Corporate slaves of America.
Preppers – Other people who are using common sense to prepare, maybe not for a doomsday scenario, but a hypothetical time when survivalist is needed also are having fun doing so. Let us be honest as much as I am not a conspiracy theories and as much as I am a skeptic, no one can predict the future. Nobody. The future is never how we ever imagine. Not in our wildest dreams could I imagine life as it exists today, my life and the world’s scenario. People could not see the Great Depression, the 2008 crisis, people would not even predict the election of Donald Trump. The future is always not as we imagine. So being prepared is a good idea, and it is mostly more for fun.
The Bible and prophecy about America – Other people equate the fall of the USA with biblical apocalypse predicted. Wrong, the Bible is about personal transformation, rather than a document of ominous fateful predictions. The Book of Revelations, for example, was talking about the stamp tax in Rome in metaphorical language, but our time in America.
Why do so many people really dream of these things? Hint it comes from our DNA
Waiting for the fall of America or some catastrophic event largely comes from an unconscious desire that is imprinted in our DNA to survived in the wild. It actually is a positive thing, because a lot of good comes from it. People are growing their own food and becoming less dependent on the grid. It also has an underlying sexual theme. People subconsciously want to win over their love in a rustic setting where we evolved from. What is more sensual, some 9 to 6 cubical job or living with the love of your life in a homestead, trying to hack out of the wilderness a life?
I am no Freudian, but do not underestimate the power of reproductive urges shaping our visions of the future.
But the real fall of America will not happen our lifetime, I promise.
The mainstream might see preppers as paranoid, but that is not true. Prepping is fun and practical but not delusional. They are not wanting an apocalypse, but rather taking that extra step of caution to be no depended on others. Even a tsunami or Hurricane can cause destruction that does not destroy the county but devastates a region. On a spectrum, they are like homesteading plus.
History has advisedly and subsequent vindicated people like this many times.
America will not collapse and America is not doomed. Pessimism and talk of crisis are always the biggest news getter than stability. This is why you hear about the end of America. Here is a fact, you can not argue, I live in Eastern Europe and you have no idea how rich America is in terms of land and resources and people. In fact, you could say Americans are spoiled for not seeing this. Short of some natural cosmic disaster, there is no way America will collapse.
Perceived threats against America.
Stop watching the news. You will waste the magical time you have on this planet by feeding off the negative energy of others.
Update: What am I doing during this CoronaVirus?
I am working on my Ph.D. and working in my garden. Since I had money in cash rather than the stock market (I felt the market was overvalued) I will be better positioned than most. What can you do? The same. Find some home industry that will position yourself for the next part of your life. I would say a garden is a good start. Even if you live in the city, you can transform your apartment into an indoor growing paradise.
What do you think is the greatest threat to America and do you think there is any chance it would collapse in the coming years? Is the US over? I think not by a long shot. However, what do you do now to break free of the sterile reality of your life?
Leave a Reply to tudval Cancel reply