The purpose of this post is to give you the reasons why to vote Republican. However, it will also explain why not to vote Republican. Let me say at the beginning that I left the Republican party member. The reason I left is there are GOP members who do not support Ukraine. I am NPA or non-affiliated. I have voted both Democrat and Libertarian. I do not want to let my views influence your choice of how to vote. Let’s first look at the issues around voting with the GOP. I want to be as objective as possible.
The world is a war of ideas – Schopenhauer
Top reasons to vote Republican
- Republicans believe in small government. I am a college Professor who teaches economics. Let the markets work or we will be on the Road to Serfdom (Hayek). Here is some evidence: https://www.heritage.org/index/ranking
- Republicans believe in low taxes. Who knows how to spend your earnings better, you or the government? Think about this. You do not want to be ‘working for your neighbor’s wife’ (William Bradford, Plymouth Colony Governor). Empirical evidence the relationship between economic growth and taxes
- Republicans believe small and big business translates to higher pay for you. In a market economy businesses generate earnings that go into wages, retained earnings for investment, and general wealth creation. Countries that lower taxes generally do better.
- Republicans are pro-life, all babies are also.
- The economy usually grows under Republican administrations if you factor out war (which is not real growth, and government transfer of wealth).
- Republicans are legal as opposed to illegal immigration. My wife immigrated legally and it was a long process. Would you let someone into your personal home illegally?
- Your personal freedom is maximized, such as school choice over ‘public schools’. I teach at a College. Public schools are producing generations of children that will learn multiple-choice tests, called standards. Home Scholars and parochial schools are light years ahead. Here is some evidence: Home school versus public schools
- Republicans believe like George Washington did, that this Republic needs religion and morals and unity to stay strong. Read Washington’s Farewell Address. My family lived under communism, and the objective was to replace the Divine with the state bureaucracy. It is freedom of religion not freedom from religion.
- Republicans are closer to the ideals of the constitution. US Constitution
- The #1 reason many people vote GOP is, as imperfect as the GOP is, the alternative would destroy the American dream. When governments control the economy this is what happens: What life looks like under socialism My family lived through this.
Why not vote Republican
Now, look at some of the reasons why people do not vote Republican.
- Republicans are light on environmental issues. I am a global warming skeptic to some extent, but some climate change is real, based on our data. However, we do not know if humans cause 1% or this or 99% of this or even if this change is bad. However, less pollution, a public good, is a reasonable goal as it has externalities that affect individuals not connected to the production process.
- Republicans do not restrict guns. In places, with gun control, there are fewer gun incidences. It is my premise that a percentage of the population is unstable. Assault weapons should not be allowed, guns for people to hunt on their homesteads yes, but anti-tank rockets, flamethrowers, bazookas, and assault weapons are not in the U.S. Constitution. Some people are just unstable and data shows protective use is outweighed by accidental or unstable minds for some types of weapons.
- Republicans often favor the military and imperialism. Mercantilism of the British Empire was the paradigm shift the American Revolution was about. Now with 800 military bases around the world in 150 countries, we emulate the idea we rebelled against. We could triple homeland security and the national guard and police at home and bring the military to 10% of current spending. The result would be our country would be paved with gold because there would be less crowding out of the private investment. We spend over half of our disposable income on weapons, what if we spent a fraction of that on childhood cancer for example? The issue is Democrats spend on the military just the same. So this is really a neutral point. The founding fathers warned against standing armies as they did not want us to be like Rome or the British empire. Five Star General and President Eisenhower warned about this misallocation of resources. Peace is the answer for humanity and the US
- Establishment Republicans are influenced by special interest like, business as much as the Democrats. For example, they support GMO food companies which means your family consumes more pesticides, also military companies, which are let’s be honest, merchants of death. However, the Democratic party has its own special interests including the military. Therefore this is a neutral point.
- The Republicans are wheelers and dealers like any other political party. This is a neutral point.
Where Republicans, Democrats, and Independents are equal
No party in the United States of America cares about the debt enough to pass a balanced budget amendment to the constitution of the United States.
The GOP tells a convenient story we can grow out of it, and the Democrats do not have a plan for this except taxing the productive. They will increase spending and taxes which slows economic growth for every demographic. Therefore, both parties fall short. That being said read on, as when placed on a scale, there is a clear winner as all issues do not have equal weight.
If you want an economic stimulus to balance the budget and cut Federal spending. This is the opposite of what you have learned from Economic textbooks on the Great Depression of the 1930s. However, government competes with the private sector for scarce resources and this slows market corrections back to equalirbium. That is why the Great Depression and the Great Recession lasted over a decade.
With the Pros and Cons of conservatism – freedom is the best choice to the alternatives
At first glance, it looks like there are as many negatives as positives with regards to the Republican party. However, there is one main reason to vote Republican. However, I agree with the GOP’s underlying premise that:
The government that governs least governs best.
The whole idea of the USA is based on John Locke, Jefferson, Madison, Washington and the enlightenment philosophers that saw the tyranny of big government and how the government will abuse power. It is crazy that people in this modern world with all of history as a testimonial believed that government is the solution.
Government is the problem – Ronald Reagan
If there is one non-Republican that disagrees let them speak. This history of mankind has been a tale of oppressive governments from the kings and queens of old to feudalism to communism. It is only in America today do we have the chance for freedom.
In this spirit, generally, Republicans are more connected with the origin of the United States in terms of the understanding of the founding fathers of the U.S. The Republican party represents a constructivism understanding of the constitution.
What does this mean? It means they try to go back to the original intent of the founding fathers.
People need to study the founding fathers and the original intent of the United States. This is important because of the idealism that the nation was founded on means something. The idea that people rather than government choices your life course.
Both Parties Lack of Monetary Awareness
Both the GOP and Democrats and Independents favor a Central Bank. The Federal Reserve was created in 1913. Growth rates here higher, lower inflation and fewer business cycles before 1913. Both parties would never replace this with something like the gold standard or free banking as politically they need control over the dials that drive the trade cycle. However, the lack of money neutrality increases the Gini co-efficient and the middle class dwindles.
This salient point but subtle and important if you understand the root cause of inequality. That is, with monetary stimulus, which is the modus operandi of the Federal Reserve Bank of the US, there is always a first receiver and a last receiver of benefits. The larger financial institutions and the first receivers, the people who work in retail and lower-paid jobs are the last receivers. Fiat money is not neutral money.
Both parties have a similar stance on this issue.
The GOP’s stance on social and moral issues
Republicans represent family values and loyal to moral issues, rather than base their issues on polls. Examples of this are issues such as prayer in school, or pro-life. Family matters and morals are the fabric that holds society together.
On the extreme, Libertarians may have a very positive viewpoint regarding less government intervention and low taxes, however, they’re very loose in terms of moral stances.
Democrats are not as pure as they make themselves out to be
The Democrats are more of a populist party. They represent a rainbow coalition of special interests. Democratic presidents often are not president’s which promote economic growth or take strong moral stances on issues. However, the stock market usually goes up during Democratic times. Recent Democrats have given more money to big business and Republicans ever have. Democrats position themselves as morally and intellectually superior but the reality is they are elitists and do not understand the philosophical underpinnings of America.
I don’t want to be pro-Republican or even conservative, even though I am a registered Republican because there are many issues I disagree with. I’m not writing this to sway you to vote Republican. However, if I put all the issues on the table it looks like the Republican party has issues that are more important when creating a happier freer society.
Issues that are important to me:
- Environmental issues – Democrat (Although there is an argument the freest countries are the cleanest)
- Less interventionist military – Both parties cater to the military-industrial complex.
- guns – Democrat
- Taxes – Republican
- Less Socialism – Republican
- Better schools through choice – Republican
- Family over state responsibility- Republican
- More personal freedom – Republican
- Middle-Class Prosperity – Republican
- Central Bank Monetary Policy – Both parties do this.
However, each issue is not weighted equally. Each person has different utility curves. I believe if you maximize personal freedom, society as a whole be better off. This was the idea of enlightenment. I believe people are innately good. I believe in God, which has become a taboo in our politically correct culture to say anything but ‘spiritual’.
Defining issue to vote GOP
I think the most critical issue is the Republicans are pro-baby. The Republican party was the anti-slavery party even though it is not an easy stance at the time.
Origins of the two US political parties
Abraham Lincoln founded the Republican party. It was founded under freedom for all people.
In contrast, the Democrats were pro-slave. Andrew Jackson, who eradicated the Seminole Native Americans, who were peacefully gathering Seminole pumpkins in the forest, founded the Democratic party or at least was their first President. This does matter.
Why I am a one-issue voter. I believe in God, therefore pro-life. One day we will be asked what we stood for in this life. Taxes and guns and all the other hot issues pale, in comparison to protecting a miracle. And if you are a man or woman in American reading this, let us be honest feminism has messed with your head so much that babies are second to convenience. I love babies; all babies don’t you? Robbing someone from their life is the ultimate in stripping freedom and liberty from people. Republicans take a stand for freedom and moral issues.
Do not listen to the polls or election commentators or be swayed by the current culture. Vote based on your moral consciousness. I am getting a Ph.D. in Economics. I teach college economics. Ironically economic issues are not at the top of my list for voting criteria, because I believe this is a moral choice rather than a monetary choice. Money is so trivial in the grand scheme of life compared to life itself.
I have given you the reasons to vote Red rather than Blue in the election, I am curious to hear your feedback on the above. Is it valid, bias, partial, objective, exciting or whatever?
Leave a Reply