The purpose of this post is to give you reasons why to vote Republican. However, it will also explain why not to vote Republican. Let me say at the beginning that I am a Republican party member, however, I have voted both Democrat and Libertarian. I am sometimes tempted to be a non-affiliated voter. I do not want to let my views influence your choice how to vote. Let’s first look at the issues around voting with the GOP. I want to be objective as possible.
The world is a war of ideas – Schopenhauer
Top reasons to vote Republican
- Republicans believe in small government. I am a college Professor who teaches economics. Let the markets work or we will be on the Road to Serfdom (Hayek).
- Republicans believe in low taxes. Who knows how to spend your earnings better, you or the government? Think about this. You do not want to be ‘working for your neighbor’s wife’ (William Bradford, Plymouth Colony Governor.
- Republicans believe small and big business translates to higher pay for you. In a market economy businesses generate earnings that go into wages, retained earnings for investment and general wealth creation. Countries that lower taxes generally do better.
- Republicans are pro-life, all babies are also.
- The economy usually grows under Republican administrations.
- Republicans are for legal as opposed to illegal immigration. My wife immigrated legally and it was a long process. Would you let someone into your personal home illegally?
- Your personal freedom is maximized, such as school choice over ‘public schools’. I teach at a College. Public schools are producing generations of children that will learn multiple choices tests, called standards. The Home Schoolers and parochial school are light years ahead.
- Republicans believe like George Washington did, that this Republic needs religion and moral and unity to stay strong. Read Washington’s Farewell Adress. My family lived under communism, and the objective was to replace the Divine with the state bureaucracy. It is freedom of religion not freedom from religion.
- Republicans are closer to the ideals of the constitution.
Why not to vote Republican
Now look at some of the reasons why people do not vote Republican.
- Republicans are weak on environmental issues. I am a global warming skeptic to some extent, but some climate change is real, based on our data. However, we do not know if humans cause 1% or this or 99% of this and even if this change is bad.
- Republicans do not restrict guns. In places, with gun control, there are fewer gun incidences. It is my premise that a percentage of the population is unstable.
- Republicans often favor the military and imperialism. Mercantilism of the British Empire was the paradigm shift the revolution was about. Now with military bases around the world, we emulate what the rebellion was about. We could triple homeland security and the national guard and police at home and bring the military to 10% and our country would be paved with gold because there would be less crowding out of private investment. If we spend over half of our disposable income on weapons, what if we spent a fraction on childhood cancer for example. The issue is Democrat spend on military just the same. So this is really a neutral point. The founding fathers warned against standing armies as they did not want us to be like Rome or the British empire. Five Star General and President Eisenhower warned about this misallocation of resources.
- Establishment Republicans are influenced by special interest like, business as much as the Democrats. For example, they support GMO food companies which means your family consumes more pesticides, also military companies, which are let’s be honest, merchants of death. However, the Democratic party has their own special interests including the military. Therefore this is a neutral point.
- The Republicans are wheelers and dealers as any other political party. The is a neutral point.
Where Republicans, Democrats and Independents are equal
No party in the United States of America cares about the debt enough to pass a balanced budget amendment to the constitution of the United States.
The GOP tells a convenient story we can grow out of it, and the Democrats do not have a plan for this. Therefore, both parties fall short. That being said read on, as when placed on a scale, there is a clear winner as all issues do not have equal weight.
With the Pros and Cons of conservatism – freedom is the best choice to the alternatives
At first glance, on the it looks like there are as many negatives than positives with regards to the Republican party. However, there is one main reason to vote Republican. However, I agree with the GOP’s underlying premise that:
The government that governs least governs best.
The whole idea of the USA is based on John Locke, Jefferson, Madison, Washington and the enlightenment philosophers that saw the tyranny of big government and how will abuse power. It is crazy that people in this modern world with all of history as a testimonial believed that government is the solution.
Government is the problem – Ronald Reagan
If there is one non republican that disagrees let them speak. This history of mankind has been a tale of oppressive governments from the kings and queens of old to feudalism to communism. It is only in America today do we have the chance for freedom.
In this spirit, generally Republicans are more connected with the origin of the United States in terms of the understanding of the founding fathers of the U.S.. The Republican party represents a constructivism understanding of the constitution.
What does this mean? It means they try to go back to the original intent of the founding fathers.
People need to study the founding fathers and the original intent of the United States. This is important because of the idealism that the nation was founded on means something. The idea that people rather than government choices your life course.
The GOP’s stance on social and moral issues
Republicans represent family values and loyal to moral issues, rather then base their issues on polls. Examples of this are issues such as prayer in school, or pro life. Family matters and morals are the fabric which hold society together.
On the extreme, Libertarians may have a very positive viewpoint regarding less government intervention and low taxes, however they’re very loose in terms of moral stances.
Democrats are not as pure as they make themselves out to be
The Democrats are more of a populist party. They represent a rainbow coalition of special interests. Democratic presidents often are not president’s which promote economic growth or take strong moral stances on issues. However the stock market usually goes up during Democratic times. Recent Democrats have given more money to big business and Republicans ever have. Democrats position themselves as morally and intellectually superior but the reality is they are elitists and do not understand the philosophical underpinnings of the America.
I don’t want to be pro Republican or even conservative, even though I am registered Republican because there are many issues I disagree with. I’m not writing this to sway you to vote Republican. However if I put all the issues on the table it looks like the Republican party has a issues that are more important when creating a happier freer society.
Issues that are important to me:
- Environmental issues – Democrat (Although there is an argument the freest countries are the cleanest)
- Less interventionist military – Both parties do this.
- guns – Democrat
- Taxes – Republican
- Less Socialism – Republican
- Better schools through choice – Republican
- Family over state responsibility- Republican
- More personal freedom – Republican
- – Republican
However, each issue is not weighted equally. Each person has different utility curves. I believe if you personal freedom, society as a whole be better off. This was the idea of the enlightenment. I believe people are innately good. I believe in God, which has become a taboo in our correct culture to say anything but ‘spiritaul’.
Defining issue to vote GOP
I think the most critical issue is the Republicans are pro-baby. The Republican party was the anti-slavery party even though it is not an easy stance at the time.
Origins of the two US political parties
Abraham Lincoln founded the Republican party. It was founded under of freedom for all people.
In the Democrats were pro-slave. Andrew Jackson, who eradicate the Seminole Native Americans founded the Democratic party or at least was their first President. This does matter.
Why I am a one issue voter. I believe in God, therefore pro-life. One day we will be asked what we stood for in life. Taxes and guns and all the other hot issues pale, in comparison to protecting a miracle. And if you are a man or woman in American reading this, let us be honest feminism has messed with your head so much that babies are second to convenience. I love babies; all babies don’t you? Robbing someone from their life is the ultimate in stripping freedom and liberty from people. Republicans take a stand for freedom and moral issues.
I have given you the reasons to vote Red rather than Blue in the election, I am curious to hear your feedback the above. Is it valid, bias, partial, objective, interesting or whatever.